Sunday, April 16, 2017

roses


I have tasted so many flowers by now. Touched petal after petal to the pink of my tongue and sung the perfume through my throat. And spring is coming back today and the garden is coming back and I am following my feet through the soil, counting on my hands the things I have learned. I have learned that almost every plant has thorns. They twist circles over my ankles and ask questions in my skin as I walk. They ask too much of me, always. My own vines have woven into thickets around my wrists as I have gotten older. After so many cuts. And I have also learned that plants grow from blood. Fruits, flowers, green leaves. All from the blood that falls from my mouth when I taste the petals and their thorns prick my tongue. All from the blood that falls from my ankles as I walk. It feeds the soil. They tell us in school that we have the rain and the sun to thank – and those do help – but I have learned that blood climbs into plant stems like magic spells, that life comes from life. From pain. So I stay barefoot. And I plant roses again this year.

No comments: