Saturday, April 1, 2017

190.

I stand mirror-bellied
shard-lipped
I am afraid you have my father’s hands
I am afraid of your fingernails
stand square-hipped, push
glass hips into my bones
break your hands into me
break wave fists into my lungs

tie knots in my hair, tell me it is braided
hide nettles inside, tell me they are flowers
blindfold me at dawn, keep me
sand-throated, dark-lidded
a red new moon

where do you want me, draw me
a lavender bath, draw me half-dressed
half my arm buried
dress dirt-caked, calling my mother back
saying “I’m sorry, I can’t make your birthday”
thanking you for the bath, the new dress
the only arm I have left

eclipse black now, even your hands, even your hands
against the dusk of my skin
I am afraid I will come away from you a painted sky:
bruised blue, purple, green
I am afraid you will call that love
I am afraid I will ask you to
I am afraid I have written this already

No comments: