Sunday, April 9, 2017

192

this is what I will spend my time on:
drawing conclusions about you
writing them into your laugh lines with my thumb and forefinger
cleaning my teeth in the reflection of my dinner spoon
carrying the weight of this whole thing under my shoulder blades,
calling it wings,
then preening my kitchen knife feathers
telling you stories, about the last of the honeybees,
the owls that bite, and keeping one eye on your mouth
leaving my headphones on,
leaving the curtains twisted around my ankles,
leaving yesterday stuck between my teeth and I can see it
when I check my reflection in my dinner spoon
wondering if you can taste it, too
throwing out the coffee
planting jasmine in your backyard without telling you
burning rose petals at night
combing the ashes through your hair
letting them wash us both in gray and blush
drawing conclusions about myself
drawing circles of you in my laugh lines
rubbing sugar into the bed sheets, letting it scrape
letting my my hands shake until they stop
letting the time spend
until it stops

No comments: