Tuesday, July 29, 2014

140.

my problem is that I spend too much time in graveyards
looking for lovers in the headstones
making little etchings of the epitaphs inside my wrists
sleeping on dewy grass over dead bodies
and I think this is as good as it will get, and I forget
the warmth of houses and open windows just up the road

my problem is that I fall in love over nothing
and everything, the way a shop girl says "your total is $15.25"
and suddenly I am pulling out my pen and sketching
a hurried picture of what we would look like dancing
and what colors she would wear
and I haven't asked her name

my problem is that I splash around in puddles
but I never drink water, and every summer leaves me thirsty
and every autumn finds me falling back to cemeteries
dozing between grave sites and daydreaming
about what affairs I could have had
with all these beautiful dead people

and I have not yet learned how
to love in present tense

No comments: