Wednesday, July 16, 2014

137.

and I promise before this is all over
I'll look over to the passenger seat and there will be
some beautiful person casting yellow smiles in my direction
leaned out backward and sweating with the windows down
and maybe I will swap my cigarettes for suckers
and start putting sweet things in my mouth for a change
maybe it will be summer or maybe
we will sit cross-legged on some winter hearth instead
counting each other's fingers and telling ghost stories
wrapped in campfire colors, kissing marshmallow mouths
maybe we will stay under snow banks
for a while, or maybe
we will let autumn creep up behind us 
and tickle us with dead leaves, and we will fall 
back into piles of dandelion fluff
sneezing and giggling and remembering our childhoods
things like what our parents said at Thanksgiving
or how tiny our hearts were, and the first time they broke
and then maybe we will fast-forward to spring
weaving reed baskets and whispering secrets
into the little hush of creek waterfalls
and twining into each other like green chutes
holding leafy hands, swigging moonshine under porch lights
drunk and flushing at each other
and happy, just happy

No comments: