Wednesday, June 11, 2014

127.

I spent too much time rearranging my teeth
into little words, to spell out little stories hidden in my mouth
spent too much time tucking your name into them
and I did not open wide for you, did not
stick my tongue out for you

and you kept your lips locked, too
kept your hands in your pockets, fists curled
around whatever you could not tell me
and I was so afraid of holding your hands
that I never let them open

so I never saw inside your palms
and you never saw inside my mouth
and I spent too much time wading through thick
darkness, eyes blinded, arms outstretched
feeling along walls for your pulse

until you flipped on the lights
and asked me to leave

and after all this time, all these
swallowed teeth and all these months
I still do not know where you were

No comments: