Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Some Way to Detach

I am struck by my tendency to start poems with
"I" or "you" or something self-conscious or other
and the ego, always the ego

sculpting worlds small enough to post on spindles
just to whirl them around our fingers
and look how far we've traveled
look how much we know

surely there is some way to detach
I make things too personal and I forget
that seasons turn and death sweeps in like autumn
surely there is some way to remember

that fabricated spirituality is only a distraction
from the God glowing in each of our skins
and we can only find it when we hold each other's hands
but really hold them, and listen
to the way our pulses harmonize

but it takes time, time
and a constant reminder 

and most days I cultivate my cynicism with pride and care
mouth dripping with venom, surveying everything
like I am about to buy or sell it

I should not be this narrow

surely there is some way to detach
I make things too personal and I forget
that tides go out and continents shift over time
surely there is some way to remember

that I am not my failure
that you are not my disapproval of you
I am so tired of forgetting how

we are all holy light
draped in fear's clothing but still pulsing underneath
still patient and brave and untempered

surely there is some way
to learn that
again

No comments: