Friday, January 17, 2014

You Are Kind, But You Are Young

you formed me with feather-soft hands
palms warm and working the clay into something you saw in me
some smallish candle gleam that you washed over my skin
waiting for me to become the lover you dreamed of
but not the lover I would have been (had I loved you)

I have no interest in letting you paint me by numbers
and fill in my dark spaces with washes of watercolor 
what you loved was only ever a sculpture you created in my image
and I was never marble-strong to begin with

you are kind, but you are young
you have not yet learned that rough edges make soft beds
that sometimes broken arms are the ones that can hold you best

so take your time finding out
what love looks like under covers, warm and blended
less like pressed flowers and more like soil
and I will spend my days in the arms of someone
who already knows what I really look like

No comments: