Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Needles

so I waited
for my fingers to lace
themselves back together
and sew a single stitch
across my sullen face

to draw me back, thread
by thread to wherever
it was that you found me
sinking fast in sand, and
you pulled me up

with champagne bubbles
and twisted smoke rings
keeping time
with throbbing bass lines
that threaten to keep us

here forever
but no, I wouldn’t mind
and so I’m waiting
for that stretch of string
to lead me home

to break my bones
and pick the pieces out
so they can heal up better
this time
but no, you wouldn’t know

I know you’re scared of me
and I don’t blame you
I’ve stained your blouse blue
and red with blood
both in my veins and out

but still you sit, with
me and all our secrets
a little family
with hearth and home
a wreck

I miss myself
when I am gone
so find that subtle thread
and pull it from my heart
back to your bed

No comments: