Tuesday, August 30, 2011

20.

yes, i did think
we
were just
you and i
now

but

my life is a tangle
with you in it
(and never that simple)

so i dream
(yes, i do
still)
of you and me
as we
of your lips in my ear
of my fingertips
tracing the line
of your jaw

yes, i did think
those last words i read
would be the
last words
i’d read

but

you are a windstorm
blowing through and into
and now my things
are all
slightly
out of place
(and my hair
is messy)

and those teeth of yours
that have kissed
(and are kissing)
so many
other
teeth
yes, i do
still want them
in my mouth

yes, i do
still have you
under my tongue
and no words left

yes, this sad slow love song
that i’ve written
with you
in mind
still wafts
in my breath

yes, i did think
that we
were you and i
that we
had disappeared

but

there you are
again
there you are
and where
am i

No comments: