Wednesday, April 8, 2015

165.

what did you see most when you looked at me
my legs, a convex curve of creamy hip and thigh maybe
the ellipse and sway of my back
did you see my velvet edges, my slope when I lay sideways
did you see the sun-streaked strawberry twist of my hair
the crook of my elbow, the flush in my cheeks
and was that all you saw

if we're being honest here, I'll admit
that I did see the details of you, the crisply ironed ridges
of your shirt against your shoulder blade
the softer stretch of waist to ribs beneath your dinner jacket
I did fall asleep that night and dream our bodies
painting waterlily-colored against a bed sheet canvas

but I saw your eyes, too
not mirror-flat, but fluid and full to brimming with you
the stories you told me, your brothers, your secrets
saw your lids and lashes flutter shut as you laughed
committed your irises to memory when you trained them on me

and if I found you today, closed my eyes,
and asked you what color they were
I am not convinced that you could tell me

No comments: