Wednesday, September 10, 2014

146.

flitting birdlike through my memories, gathering
little bits of broken shell and soil between my knuckles as I go
to build a nest
there are so many things I have learned, so many things
I have yet to learn, and I will make a house of them
I will be indiscriminate
weave and sew the slivers of self-doubt
with shame and brash confidence alike, like slender twigs
padding with fluff from old lovers' mattresses
I have been made of so many things
over these years, 
stained glass and skinned knees and everything in between
and I am patchwork quilt beautiful
with sticks and stones sticking out at the seams, all the things
people have thrown at me, all the things I have swallowed
I will make my home amid my feathered hopes
and oiled fears, and I am not pitting myself 
against myself today. 
there are too many pretty things
in my lacy framework, in this tiny cathedral I have built
there are too many berries and too many thorns
too many storm clouds and sun showers
I don't want to pluck anything out
of myself. I want to keep
all of it.

No comments: