Sunday, August 24, 2014

143.

crooked and bleary-eyed, slurred and sideways sitting
still askew from the last breath you blew at me, bent like a branch
head tilted almost upside-down and asking how did this happen?
how did so many midnights pass between eye blinks, between heartbeats,
head pressed to your wrist one minute and listening for your blood flow
the gentle whoosh like seashell sounds, until I open my eyes two years later
head-slam ringing without you and without
so much as a cough goodbye?
and I stretch a hand to the floor to steady myself, but
my fingers find your hair instead and I am
combing through you again
blurred vision and veered off-course, I was doing so well
I was doing such a good job of forgetting you

I am dizzy at the scent of you and sad to think
that you feel like an interruption now
instead of a comfort

No comments: