Friday, September 20, 2013

113.


it has been winter here for years
and I have only written the frost, lingering
over my aching fingertips
never warming my hands in my pockets
I have complained
about loneliness
and I have kept myself
alone

maybe because it seems safer
to hold myself at night
than risk a stranger’s hands leaving marks
but my own arms only reach so far
and there is still a small space on my back
that I cannot touch without help


so I am sure you have been wrapped in other women's sweaters
and I am sure you are wrapped in one now
and I doubt I could fit into your clothes, but
I would not mind a shot at it
stretching woven knits to slide my arm into the same sleeve as yours
our necks filling one collar, vertebrae kissing
I would not mind drinking from the same coffee mug
and breathing from your steamed lungs

and maybe you are just my excuse to write poetry
but the words fall freely from my hands, so
let's not overanalyze it

because I have been told that fingers are not defibrillators
that holding hands will not bring back what is dead in me
and sex can't save my life, but
it is so cold here
I am beginning to think the frost is slowing my heart
and I cannot help but wonder whether your touch is electric
and whether I will be nerve-damaged or revived underneath you
maybe your sheets are positively charged
and our sweat would conduct sparks through our lips
and maybe that might be enough
to keep me warm.

No comments: