Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Something That Tastes Sweet And Destroys

lovely mirror-gazer, little one, you are not
the only heart breaker in this room
and I never meant to be a force of nature
but if I am meant to make you sorry
I might as well do it with a smile

I have packed myself in boxes too
many times and I need to stretch now
it is time to let my tiger teeth draw blood
and you would like to think you are immune
but trust me, I've hurt stronger men than you

the parts of me that I hate are often the parts
that are prettiest: the soft and kind, the easy
to catch. I am more than ready to be harder
than your skin, to be a wrecking ball in your ribs
I have demolished enough buildings already

the tables are turning under our feet now
and I am growing honeyed spines in my bones
I am becoming poisonous and seductive and you
look so delectable tonight. just take a step forward,
darling, just come a little closer, I swear

that I have never once intended
to sever legs the way I do so well, but
perhaps it is my calling. perhaps my palms
are spiked for a reason, it is easy to see
how hips like these could make craters in skin

so let me crack you open, lover
bring me what you fear and I will
eat it up. and do not walk too slowly
for I am not a patient woman anymore
hurry here and let me steal you away

if this old heart could give love still, I'm sure
I would give it to you. but it dripped its last drop
last year, and all I have left now is something
that tastes sweet and destroys, and you
will look lovely as your knees buckle

I suppose I could call it a curse, but
the feeling in my legs was gone for so long
that anything that brings a tickle to my skin
is welcome, even if your fire dwindles
as I stoke the flames of mine

forgive me, lover, for I will sin
and sin again and I have forgotten how
to repent. you'll have to help me with it.
but if you want someone to hold you without
breaking your bones, it seems to me

you had better
keep looking.

No comments: